Sunday, January 5, 2014

It all started with an overflowing cupboard.

My kitchen...a far improvement from the 2.5 foot wide, 4 foot long galley kitchen in my husband and I's first apartment. Imagine opening a fridge from the side because there simply wasn't room to stand in front of the fridge and swing the door open. I had a grand total of 4 square feet of counter space. My stand mixer was a $40 clearance Sunbeam special my husband had to go back to the store and buy because I wouldn't spend the money on myself. When your kitchen storage space is limited, it's awful easy not to buy gadgetry when you have no where to store it, let alone use it.

In those 3 years, we've moved to a house and I have a substantially better job (which so happens to include a substantial discount on already low priced home goods). With both those changes, I suddenly had the space and budget to indulge in those single use gadgets that Alton Brown views so unfavorably. One year for Christmas, everyone seemed to be in tune and all my presents were BabyCakes mini appliances. I also inherited an extensive collection of baking gear from a piece of my heart who's no longer with us that I have just recently been emotionally able to touch, let alone use.

My cupboards runneth over and with this, a challenge: Use everything at least once this year. This includes every pot, pan, utensil, gadget, and appliance. If it's something I use often (like my beloved powder pink Artsian Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer) I must use all attachments, and I must use it for something I've never made before. I will review the product, try and remember where I bought it and how much it was (I'll always list retail price rather than after my employee discount), and if knowing what I know now, I would buy it again. Some of these blogs will be really fun to write. Some will be bittersweet (e.g. the inherited items). All will come from my heart. So I invite you to join me on this journey. Hold my hand, we'll make it I swear.



No comments:

Post a Comment